The word Cuauhtémoc comes from the Náhuatl, “Cuauhtli” which means eagle, and “Temoc” which means descend, therefore the name means “eagle that descends over its prey”.
During the precolonial period, these lands were occupied by different indigenous groups coming from the center. After the Conquest of Mexico (1521), the Viceroyalty was established, and the first Vice-king was Antonio de Mendoza, who had the road named “Camino Real” built. This road was used to communicate Tenochtitlán and Manzanillo port. This historic route goes between what today is the Town city and Cuauhtemoc. Since the beginning of the last century, many farms got settled along Camino Real. These settlements got bigger and bigger and in 1850, this community became San Jerónimo´s Ranch. And by 1870, it was considered a congregation.
Town.- In 1879, the neighbours of these farms asked the Local Congress to become a Town, which was achieved by Guatimozin law number 176 of the State Congress declared by the former governor, Doroteo López.
Municipal Head City.- The governor, Felipe Valle, gave the jurisdiction of a free Municipal Head city to Cuauhtémoc on the 15th January, 1919.
MUNICIPAL HEAD CITY
Its name is Cuauhtémoc. It is located 15 away the state´s capital city. The main activities of its 7,600 inhabitants are agriculture, stock and trade. They also work as professionals, laborers and other activities.
INEGI 006-005-CUAUHTÉMOC, 27,107 TOTAL INHABITANTS
MAIN TOURIST ATTRACTIONS
Most of the Town city belongs to an archaeological site extended among the whole state. Precolonial tombs have been discovered and some pieces of interesting ritual and domestic handcrafts, goldsmith, seashell objects, bones and a great variety of stone figures have been found.
“De los Eneficios” is a ruined precolonial ceremony center located 2 kilometers from the Town City, where today we can still see pyramids, roads and remains of our Náhuas ancestors. There are historic colonial haciendas; some of them have already been restored.
The old bishopric in the town city was rebuilt as a cultural center. At the main square there is a sculpture dedicated to Cuauhtémoc, the last Aztec emperor and a bust of the former governor of Colima, Francisco Velasco Curiel, born in Cuauhtémoc.
In the “Francisco Vizcaíno Fernández” sports center, there is a bust of this particular local politician and sports person. At middle-high school 5, there is a memorial of José Mora y Verduzco.
Located at northeast of the state, bordered with Tonila, east with Pihuamo, south and southwest with the Town City of Colima and west with Comala and Villa de Álvarez. It is located between the geographical coordinates of 19 ° 12 'to 19 ° 30' north latitude and 103 ° 30 'to 103 ° 42' west longitude.